Thursday, March 12, 2009

It’s Chocolate!

Chocolate! The very word is almost a comfort to those in need of it! It encourages engaging conversation between perfect strangers often turning them into friends through mutual appreciation of taste and love for this strange concoction of cocoa solids, cocoa butter, sugar and various add-ons like the ubiquitous milk, nuts, liqueur and fruits and sometimes even more exotic additives.
It is only after my recent trip to Europe that I began to value the range of flavor that appears from sampling local varieties of the sweet substance. Since that tour, I have keenly followed my ardor for Foreign and exotic chocolate and by now, it has turned into a pastime. This short write up will assist you in your personal quest to discovering the best chocolate for yourself and also provide a few suggestions for making up a global “sampler” of internationally famous chocolates for a friend. All Americans in this world possibly know the household names in imported brands as Ritter Sport (from Germany) and Toblerone (Switzerland). As a novice, just to get started, if this is your first try of foreign chocolates, you may wish to give these brands a try. You may not believe it; some people only like American chocolate (such as Nestle and Hershey’s) as they think European and foreign chocolate are “funny-tasting”. Especially when it is the smaller foreign chocolate makers, this difference in taste is a result of more watchful mixing of ingredients and frequently the cocoa content is more which, mainly with foreign dark chocolate, gives a unique, bitter taste. Each of the chocolate firms I have cataloged here make both milk and dark chocolate and I have endeavored to provide you personal opinion founded on what I’ve tasted from them. I offer you some well informed advice in choosing chocolate as I enjoy both milk and dark forms equally. Now then, down to the nitty-gritty…Here are my top global picks… I know, most people think of Swiss chocolate as the very best in chocolates, I must beg to differ. My choice for the best chocolate making nation is Belgium, which has French, Austrian, German, and Swiss influences in its methods, making it a more stable and pleasurable treat. While I couldn’t memorize the names of the all the local manufacturers I found in small Belgian towns, I can certainly direct you to some of the brands that are finest and are available online.

No comments:

Post a Comment